Saturday, December 6, 2008

My birthday


Do you ever have an event in your life that really makes you sit back and reevaluate who you are and what kind of friend you are to others around you?

Well I just did. This entry is by no means a brag entry about what happened, but more for me to look back on and read to remind me what kind of a person and friend I need to be for others.

Yesterday was my birthday. It seems that the more I have, the less enthusiastic I get about them. I do look forward to the automatic night out I get with my husband, but I always stress about what he will buy me or others for that matter. You see, I have a very hard time letting other people spend money on me or spending money on myself. There are many reasons why this is, but the biggest reason is because I don't know how to show my gratitude back to them for making my birthday just that more special for me.

This is how my day went. I woke up with the plan to go to Costco with all 5 (remember we are off track) kids. My husband overheard that plan and said, "Hey just get the babysitter to come earlier and we will go alone before we go out." Who can turn that one down!? So, I decided I wasn't going to sit at home until 3:30 and go crazy. I decided to take all the kids to Target instead! But before I could get out the door my friend called me and said lets go to lunch. You know somewhere with a play place and chicken nuggets. So, after Target it was Chick Fila! The kids were excited and I was just grateful to prolong my time out of the house. Besides I got to have some adult conversation! When I got there, there was 3 other women from the ward (by coincidence) also eating lunch with their kids. As we are sitting there one of them (I have decided to with hold names, but you know who you are!) hands me a gift card to Dos Lagos (a shopping area). They also gave me a coupon for 2 movie tickets to the theatre over there. Three women went in on this and I just can't tell you how excited I was for this. Remember how I said I don't spend money on myself and I feel awkward when others present me with gifts because I don't know what to do or say now. I am just so excited to go get the bras at Victorias Secret that everyone keeps talking about! After four kids I need all the help I can get in that department. The other woman who took me out to lunch gave me the cutest apron that she made. I just love it and had been wanting one that had character to it and not just white. After getting home there was a card under my door mat with another visa gift card. All of this was totally unexpected, but very much appreciated. When I got home I had just enough time to get things in order and then grab the babysitter so I could start my evening of Costco shopping, eating dinner and movie watching with just my wonderful husband. Just him and I with NO interruptions!

Then today my friend planned to take me out to lunch for my birthday. She picks me up and takes me to BJ's. When we walk in there was 8 more of my friends there! What a surprise. Of course they had to shower me with gifts too.

Words can not explain how loved I feel. I absolutely love where we live. I love our ward and our school. For the first time I completely feel home. All the women in my ward are so much fun! They are always looking for another "excuse" to get together (whether it is at someones house or going out). They are so good at making each other feel great and proud to be a woman. They love to celebrate life and I love them for it. They have no idea the impact they have already had in my life. And for that alone I am eternally grateful for. You ladies no who you are and I love you and I thank you form the bottom of my heart.

6 comments:

Candice said...

Happy Birthday! I am so glad that you have good friends where you live. That's how I feel here and why we have moved 4 times within our ward boundaries just looking for the perfect fit in the best ward ever! I also love spreading my birthday out over several days doing fun things with friends. It makes me feel the way you described, loved and appreciated.

Fausett Family said...

Happy Birthday!! Friends can make having a birthday so special, probably because they know how it feels. Anything to get together and celebrate each other. I love how your night out starts with Costco. Ours always do too. That or Target.

Greg and Shellie Lomenick said...

Glad that you had a great birthday! Thanks for watching my kids the day after. We know what kind of a friend I am.

nicole said...

I'm glad you had a Happy Birthday.

Nat said...

Happy Birthday! Mine was the 9th. I know what you mean by having great frineds to spend time with. It is hard after we move after 2 1/2 yrs to a new area to make so friends. But I get to keep in touch with those frineds and they are amazing. It sounds like you had a great BIRTHDAY!!

The Taylor Family said...

Happy Birthday Cole!!! Can you believe that almost 14 years after good ol' Hogi Yogi we'd have a bunch of kids and be blogging to see each other! Where does the time go! I am very sorry I seriously meant to send you a card for your b-day but my life got in the way! So again and I am sorry it is late... Happy Birthday girl!