Saturday, February 14, 2009

What did you just ask me????


It seems that my posts lately have been of conversations with my sweet children. Well here is another one. Some of us ladies were chit chattin' over lunch last week about many things, but of those things was when our children asked the BIG question. I simply said I don't even think it has crossed their minds. Not even a hint of anything like that goin' on over here.

So, picture this...Mom thinks it would be a good day to spend with Zach. Happily he comes along with me to all of my various errands today. The last one being Stater Bros. So, here we are walking down the cereal isle and he turns to me and asks:

Z: Mom how did you get 4 babies out of you?

I pause for a moment and think, okay not bad, I can handle this one.

M: Well son, I pushed them out.

Z:No mom, I mean how did you get them in you?

Suddenly everything comes to a screeching halt down the cereal isle! What did you just ask me??? I contemplate for a minute, what is appropriate to answer here in Stater Bros on a Saturday nontheless. So, I turn to him and say...

M:Can we talk about this later???

Now the big question is do I bring it up or wait for him to ask again???

6 comments:

Candice said...

I just had to go to maturation clinic at school with my 11 yr. old. They didn't go into a lot of details about the "how", but it sure was uncomfortable. I talked to an older friend afterward who has grown children and she said they take their children on a Mom and Dad date when they turn 9 and talk to them about the birds and the bees. I was surprised so young, but she said that at that age they are curious and will ask questions rather than squirm and not make eye contact which is what happened to me. The maturation class was just about developing bodies, showering, periods, etc. I still haven't had "that" talk with her. I am not looking forward to it.

Fausett Family said...

Me and my friends just had the same discussion last week. I'm kind of freaked out by the thought but also have been told that if you don't start talking to them about it by age 5 they are getting their information else where. 5 seems young but I have to say Noah has asked the most questions about this pregnancy and he's 5. I thought now with having a baby would be a good time to have the "TALK" with Elena. But have no idea how to even bring it up. At least Zach isn't asking about periods. Girls have been telling me they are starting earlier and earlier between 8-12. Am I already too late? At least he isn't a girl. You could always pass it on to Craig.

Christina said...

I say yes, you bring it up. As for the how and what, at this age, I think you can tell him the very basic, Daddy put a seed in my body and it grew into a baby. He may be happy with that or pursue the questioning. My Early Childhood Ed professor at BYU said just answer what they ask and nothing more. That way you aren't giving them more than they are ready for.

The Reed Family said...

I would say you jinxed yourself! The only thing I can say is...I am so not rushing that conversation! And so far since I have boys, they will be going to dad! :) I don't even remember having any talk with my parents (I may have just blocked it from my memory) Good luck!

alyson said...

Lucky you! I am so not looking forward to that when my kids start asking!

by Cathy Rees said...

If I were in your place...I would just turn bright red...say ask your father...he knows how everything works! After all I do believe his mother taught him about the birds in the trees...(LOL). Craig must have it right, he has 5 kids. Well, there are always books (being that I am a librarian, I should know)You can always get a book...in fact, I do believe that Craig got the details from the Groiler's Book of Knowledge when he was about the age of 10. Just remember, you don't have to tell everything...it gives your kids something to talk about when they have their own children...LOL< LOL> Love, Grandma Nana