Monday, October 13, 2008

Mission Complete!

For all those who did not know I just ran my first race on Sat. It was not just any race though. The name of it was Volkslauf. Many of my friends run in a race called the Mud Run in San Diego. They heard of a similar one in Bakersfield and decided to give it a go. All right, I'm game. We signed up and watched the 6 videos about it on you tube. I thought okay, I guess I can do this. I have been running for awhile with a friend on average 3 days a week and on the alternate days I go to the gym with a group of friends. I honestly thought I was in decent shape for this. NOTHING could have prepared me for what I was a bout to do! The Volkslauf is a 10k course with 60, yes I said 60, obstacles. These obstacles are typical military obstacles. Walls to climb over, muddy trenches to dredge through and swim through, ropes to cross over muddy trenches upside down, ropes to climb up and then down, more walls, and things to climb over, hills, lots of muddy hills to go up and down. It was totally crazy. On top of that there was military men and women yelling at you at each course. I did it though. My time was 1hr. 31 min. 46 sec. Not bad for my military training course, heh? Out of 179 women I placed 72. Oh, did I mention I was totally sick? I had been fighting a horrible cold since Wed. Okay, so the after math. I am sore in places I had no idea that I even had muscles. I have bruises and scratches and rope burns too. I think I wore myself out because when we got home at 4pm on Sat. I went to bed at 8pm and didn't get up until 8am Sun. Today I am doing much better. The cold is on the mend and well it really only hurts when I take my shirt off and on.
I wanted to post one of the six videos so you can get an idea of what it was like. Yes, I am also going to show you my war wounds. Of course I have to document this for posterity. I was showing Craig the videos and he asked me if it was at all similar to what I did. I said it was exactly the same course! He couldn't believe that I would get that dirty. So here you go.










9 comments:

Candice said...

Have you lost your mind???!!! Why would you even consider doing this? I am totally impressed!! I walked most of a 10K and was sore for days. WOW! You are awesome!!!

Fausett Family said...

YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!! That would have been so much fun. Maybe next year I can get my friends to do it. We just did a 5k on Saturday and my time was super weak. I walked it this year because of my condition. Next year would be perfect to get me back in shape. I am really impressed with your battle wounds. As sore as you are now, doesn't it make you feel great to have done it?

Robertsons said...

u amaze me! great job! PS I think ure crazy

Greg and Shellie Lomenick said...

I have never been more proud of you

The Taylor Family said...

Oh my GOSH!!! I swear you were a sane person when I moved from the state of California! What the heck happend to you? Have you fallen and bumped your head? I can't believe you did that, wait no back up, that you from the begining, when you 1st heard about this race, that it sounded like a good idea! WHAT??? You are a brave soul lady! I love the u tube video! I was cracking up just thinking of you doing those things! You rule!!!

Lorena said...

Wow...YOU RULE!!!!
That looks insane and yet fun!

Lizzy said...

You go girl! You are amazing!

The Fisher Family said...

Seeing the video and your bruises are amazing. Hearing you describe it did not do this justice. I can not believe you did that and you wanted to do that. I'm proud of you.

The Reed Family said...

Hey Nicole...you asked how I arranged my pictures in the collages. I did it in photoshop, but my friend did something similar with a program you can download called Picassa. For me it was the perfect way to post several pictures in one post! And I would have to say that I am totally impressed with your motivation to do that run!!